Friday, October 1, 2010

Quinton Harris


House music producer/DJ Quentin Harris is in the country and its going down this weekend with Mr Harris behind the decks.

Although he’s made his mark in the past decade, Quentin Harris has been making music much longer. Raised in Detroit, he cut his teeth listening to the highly influential DJ Ken Collier (a regular ally of Was (Not Was)) and, of course, The Electrifyin’ Mojo, the Motor City’s equivalent of the UK’s John Peel. “I so wish radio was still like it was then. It was programming to de-programming, so to speak. I would sit there getting schooled on stuff I didn’t know and sometimes he would just play Stevie Wonder records all night.”

Quentin was something of prodigy as a kid, teaching himself to play piano to such a level that, by the time he was able to take lessons, he’d already outgrown the teachers themselves. The route to the studio came through an uncle who fancied himself as an MC and enrolled the kid with the musical chops in the venture. “We went to this little studio and I’d play little synth lines on these demos. I went so often that I ended up controlling how they sounded. At the time, I didn’t realize that I was performing the functions of a music producer. Once that stopped, I had the bug to make my own music.”

For those who were lucky enough to catch him playing in Pretoria last night it was killer, if you were unlucky than you can catch him playing at The 60’s Party in Nelspruit tomorrow.



Here is a quick reminder of Quentin Harris's prowess, this track will definatley take you back. Leela James - My Joy (Quentin Harris mix)




Source: QuentinHarris

BCM

No comments:

Post a Comment