Thursday, October 28, 2010

Audience members pass out duirng 127 Hours screening



I remember hearing about the hiker who got lost in the Grand Canyon and eventually had to cut off his own arm with a Swiss army knife in an effort to survive. Hollywood does what they do best when it comes to stories of profound interest such as this one, the make a movie. The only problem is that audience members started passing out during the scene where dude hacks off his own arm.



Apparently, people are passing out while watching James Franco‘s new flick 127 Hours. Yep, the one where he portrays Aron Ralston, the mountain climber who amputated his own arm in 2003 after it got stuck under a boulder. Yep, now you know why people are passing out.

During a Vanity Fair screening of the film, Franco gave this tip: ”If you’re feeling woozy, just cover your eyes. There’s nothing wrong with covering your eyes. It took 40 minutes [for Aron to cut his arm off], so what Danny [Boyle, the director] showed is mercifully short. It’s visceral, but it’s about the exhilaration of getting free and leaving in the end.” Franco and Boyle attended the 14th Annual Hollywood Awards gala last night in Los Angeles.


Caught between a rock and a hard blade
 
Franco said that people may be getting really caught up in the film because of how emotionally intense it is.

“Here, you’re spending the entire movie with one guy. You, as the audience, are going through it with Aron. When you watch the footage of him talking into that video camera to his family, you feel like he’s talking directly to you. And when he cuts off his arm, maybe it feels like it’s happening to you.”





The arm-cutting scene involved three prosthetic arms, one made to look exactly like the outside of Franco’s own arm, and two filled with all the musculature and bone he had to chop through. “I actually have a problem with blood. It’s only my arms; I have a problem with seeing blood on my arm,” he told us. “So after the first day, I said to Danny, ‘I think you got the real, unvarnished reaction there.’” The prosthetic had actually been made so that Franco wasn’t supposed to be able to cut all the way through it. But in the moment, he said, “I just did it, and I cut it off and I fell back, and I guess that’s the take that Danny used.”





Ralston has said that everything on the screen, the arrogant, selfish guy who goes into that canyon and the grateful man who walks out, having spent days in this beautiful remote place without humans, trying to reach out to other humans in his life via a camcorder, is true to life.

“It’s not a nightmare at all,” he said. “It’s perhaps the most beautiful story I’ll get to experience in my life. It’s a true blessing for me, giving this gift to the team who is now giving it to the world. For me, it’s truly the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me. That’s what I always said, until my son was born back in February. When he comes in at the end of the film, it gets me. Every time I see the little boy, I’m appreciative.”

Here is the trailer:




I can't wait cause that type of gruesome is right up my alley.

BCM


sociallitelife

No comments:

Post a Comment