Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Men saved from death in sewage drain




 
Last year I had the misfortune of falling through an open sewage drain and boy did I pay the price, crutches for two weeks, people gawking at ya like you're a cripple...Needless to say I watch where I walk and make sure I avoid open sweage drains.

Turns out that in Pretoria two workers were rescued from a gas-contaminated sewage drain they were attempting to unblock in the Pretoria CBD  yesterday.





It is believed that a man went to help his co-worker, who was suffocating beneath the sewage drain at the intersection of Potgieter and Skinner at around 9.30am.

However, both were overcome by the gas and collapsed.

Paramedics and firefighters called to the scene donned breathing apparatus and used ropes to enter the drain and rescue the pair.


Being trapped in a drain is a potential nightmare

They were removed to the roadside, where one of them was resuscitated and placed on a ventilator.The men were not wearing full protective gear as required by law when they entered the manhole.He said one of the men was taken to Eugene Marais hospital in a serious condition while the other was critical.

Oy Vey

I woudln't wish this on my worst enemy, especially since these dudes fell in because of the rotting stench of sewage, as much as I'm kinda sad about this situation but it reminded me of a certain show...



BCM

sapa

No comments:

Post a Comment