Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Makings of an IT girl (not Mbau)

EEEEUUUUWWWW

Call me catty, bitchy or any other derogatory name you fancy (see the worry in my eye), but I’m more than sick of hearing people like Khanyi Mbau being labelled as S.A’s It girls. It revolts me, I want to purge every time I hear that crap! Are we that desperate for girls with the “X” factor that we’ll give any media whore a title she does not deserve and subsequently fails to assume??? Let’s go to school kids: these are the makings of a BONAFIDE It girl!
1.       A name
A rose may be a rose by another name but if you aim to become one of fashion’s It girls, you best be called something that has the ring of peasantry from a former communist country, have a famous sibling or parents with possible links to Hugh Heffner!

2.       A personality
Before Terry Pheto and the Yfm twins came along I was convinced one couldn’t get anywhere without personality. Terry’s grown leaps and bounds in her career but that’s as close as she’ll come to being an It girl, campaigns and all!
Curse of the twins

3.       A body for days
I’m not alluding to crack-head thin, Miss ”I-twitch-like-a-grasshopper” Bonang Matheba. Until Euphonik puts his prissy foot down and force-feeds her, she doesn’t count! I promote health, not anorexia.

 

4.       Talent
Gold-digging doesn’t qualify you, neither does cradle snatching. I hope Khanyi, Primrose and Sophie are keeping up with me.


5.       Style
Wearing every fashion label under the sun does not make you stylish, it just makes you a nobody with lotso money to blow. You also need to be more than the jeans and t-shirt girl from nextdoor. Can't be more specific than that.


Since the country’s so desperate to fulfil this role I might give it a try. I’ll change my name to something eccentric, like Ping Pong or Bo Peep, continue dancing like a possessed giraffe and stick to the hippie era! Until then, you’re gonna have to hang ten!



 
Jane Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment