Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cheap shoes



I had the pleasure of attending  a refreshingly OTT cocktail party hosted by an equally dramatic designer friend of mine who irritates me more often than not. Basically, it was a fancy do, we were expected to swenka, everybody who mattered was there and in the midst of blowing those ridiculously snobbish air-kisses I happened to glance down and as soon as I had I wish I hadn’t. THOSE CHEAP SHOES...
 

I was revolted by the bazaar of cheap plastic imports; good god, it was a contagion of grotesque shoes! To a certain extent I understand why (even my pockets dipped low at some point) but my forgiveness can be stretched only so far! Easily, my worst was a sensible mid-height sandal with a thin heel and a dainty little strap that criss-crosses the foot, all held together by two cheap little diamante clasps.

Sies man
All the proportions are just WRONG: the heel is too low for the shape of the sole and then there’s the black pleather upper...O Nkos’ yam, it’s shiny and cheap!


What makes it a bit sad is that when the woman who was wearing those things left her house, they fitted snuggly, but a few hours later the shoddy plastic had stretched and her feet had slid down so much so that her toes kissed the floor in front of the sandal! It’s a horrible story and even now I am reeling.



 
Your roars of protest are ridiculous: I get that not all of us are able to splurge on a pair of Manolos or Zanottis but there are good-looking, well-crafted inexpensive shoes out there! Rage and Mr. Price have shoes at affordable prices- but you have to look- and not settle for anything. Thing is there comes a point when women become cheap asses (men are warned: it’s only a matter of time before your other gets to this stage in her life): you buy something for little more than a dime, front about how expensive it is and then pray to whoever will listen that it lasts until the end of the night! You disgust me, ni cheap man!


Personally, I’d quicker break a nail than be caught in a bad pair of shoes! But maybe that’s  the vanity in me speaking. But seriously ladies: you need to have at least one pair of shoes that doesn’t come from a chain store; your feet and posture will thank you!

Jane Doe  

No comments:

Post a Comment